Grants of up to $500 each are available to child care programs in the northern Virginia area to assist and incentivize child care providers to enhanced levels of regulation, recruit regulated providers to participate in the VDSS Child Care Subsidy Vendor Program, and recruit membership for the Virginia Shared Services Network
Programs must be located in one of these cities or counties: Alexandria, Arlington, Clark, Culpeper, Fairfax city and county, Falls Church, Fauquier, Fredericksburg, Greene, King George, Loudoun, Louisa, Madison, Manassas, Manassas Park, Orange, Page, Prince William, Rappahannock, Shenandoah, Spotsylvania, Stafford, Warren, Winchester.
Programs must have received Technical Assistance services from Child Care Aware of Northern Virginia (CCANV) to assist with the regulation/approval process. Payments will be based on providers’ achievement of goals as direct result of services and activities provided CCANV.
Timeframe: October 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017
The process must be completed or submitted and pending approval by 6/30/17
Funds are to be used to help the program “Move up in Quality” through a change in status.
Eligible Regulation Status Change:
- Move from unregulated family child care home to Voluntarily Registered home
- Move from unregulated family child care home to State Licensed home
- Move from Voluntary Registered child care home to State Licensed home
- Move from Religiously Exempt child care center to State Licensed center
- Move from Local Government-Approved Parks & Recreation Program to Licensed center
Virginia Quality Status Change:
- Move to higher level as VA Quality participant (non-participant to Level 1, Level 1 to 2, etc.)
Eligible Vendor Recruitment Status Change:
- Move Voluntary Registered home to Subsidy Program Approval
- Move Religious Exempt center to Subsidy Program Approval
- Move Licensed family child care home to Subsidy Program Approval
- Move Licensed child care center to Subsidy Program Approval
*current subsidy applicants are not eligible – efforts must target new, non-participating providers
Awards may be issued upon successful completion of basic steps toward next level achievement, i.e. licensing inspection complete/passed on way to becoming licensed; all basic requirements met toward becoming subsidy approved – backgrounds passed, all requirements and basic training complete – a commitment to the process should be demonstrated.
Incentive awards are for PROGRAM ENHANCEMENT, meant to improve quality, enhance services and promote growth
- Education-focused company gift card (i.e. Kaplan, Discount School Supply, Lakeshore, local teaching stores) or subscriptions
- Direct purchase of items from education-focused company (as listed above) which will demonstrate an enhancement to the program
- Direct purchase of any educational, play, health/safety program materials or subscriptions which will demonstrate an enhancement to the program
*Don’t forget to use your VA Shared Services discounts to order items!
- Payment for training in child health, child safety, child development or enhanced professional development training, which will demonstrate an enhancement to the program (exception: providers eligible for First Aid/CPR classes paid through CCA-VA Infant/Toddler Project or funded by any other project should use incentives for other purposes)
Incentive awards should not be issued to meet basic application fees or requirements
- No cash/check payment directly to the program/individual
- No payment for normal operating expenses, such as staff pay/benefits, rent/utilities
- No reimbursements for past purchases
- No Application Fees
- No Background Check Fees
- No basic home improvement expenses/repairs, unless they are specifically for expansion of the child care program – all requests of this nature should be consulted with CCA-VA
Submit the application below for consideration for the mini-grant: